6.14.2013

Vintage Childrens Book: Bring in the Pumpkins, Dahlov Ipcar


Today's vintage children's book Bring in the Pumpkins was originally titled Hard Scrabble Harvest. I think the first title more accurately depicts the story of
a farmer and his wife who struggle to protect their crops from birds and beasts, as they plant, raise and harvest their crops. 


Nice composition on the title pages!




I like all the patterns and repetitions in Ipcar's illustrations.







Bring in the Pumpkins
Written and Illustrated by Dahlov Ipcar

Read about: Dahlov Ipcar

4 comments:

  1. I've not seen this before but like you, I love all the patterns and repetitions in the illustrations. I also like the limited use of colour it gives the illustrations more ‘character’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this book, either (which is one of the many reasons I love this blog--discovering wonderful new/old picture books!) Yes, the repetitions are so pretty some of them could almost be wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment Mary! One of the things I like about doing this blog is learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my youngest son's favorite book when he was little. He's 31 years old now! I'd love to find a copy. I thought we had kept one but didn't.

    ReplyDelete